[at-l] Something from Skeeter to make us jealous...

Don't know why this ended up in my junk email but just found it today.  I
got it a few days ago.  Sorry about the delay, everyone...  -MF

Hi Mara!

Could you do me a favor and post this to the at-l?

Latest and only news from the Sierras... Dave and I are having a blast on
the High Sierra Route!. We're now on R+R in Mamouth doing all the town stuff
before heading out tomorrow. The first 60 miles of the route from Kings
Canyon to Bishop is just a little rough. Based on the amount of food we're
able to carry we determined that we needed to make ten miles a day. Somehow
it never registered how rough those ten miles could be. 10 or 12 hours to
cover the miles we needed to in a day. Climbing trailless 12,000 foot passes
on large talus, 700 foot elevation gain in 0.3 miles on Frozen Lake Pass,
descending from the passes by skiing down scree slopes, hopping more talus,
glissading snowfields, and walking down granite ramps to reach the valley
bottoms.
Yesterday we walked the Mamouth Crest... the closest I've ever been to that
kind of walking was the 10 Mile Range in Colorado. Awesome views towards the
Minarets in Yosemite, views changing around every corner....walking on top
of the world. Stunning!

In short the HSR is awesome, rough, stunning, rough, beautiful, rough... the
roughest hiking I've ever done, and really the most (fill in superlative
here)!

skeeter

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor