[at-l] Regional Planning - Oil Dependent Sprawl

         James Howard Kunstler from 'Atlantic' - Article "End Of The Binge":

              Snip -

                      " Instead, we shifted into party-hearty suburban
turbo-development overdrive and elaborated with greater recklessness than ever on a
hyper car-dependent living arrangement that was profitable to construct but
which has exceedingly poor prospects as an armature for daily life in the
decades to come. To make matters worse, we surrendered the bulk of our manufacturing
economy to other nations with cheaper labor and fewer environmental scruples
and actually made the doomed suburban expansion project, and all its ancillary
activities such as mortgage-lending, real estate sales, strip-mall commerce,
and easy motoring, the new basis of our economy. This was the dirty secret of
our economy from Reagan on: The creation of ever more suburban sprawl and its
accessories was mostly what we did in America. Subtract it from everything
else and there was little left but haircutting and open-heart surgery. The
economy wasn't about "information" or buying and selling things on the Internet. It
was about bulldozing 200 acres of red clay 38 miles outside Atlanta, plunking
McHouses down on half-acre lots, tilting up a programmed set of national chain
retail outlets on the nearest "collector" highway, granting no-money-down
interest-only mortgages to anyone with a pulse regardless of creditworthiness (or
lack of), and then flipping those mortgages into yet more abstract tradable
securitized debt instruments.

         Thus, when the Tom Friedmans and David Brookses beat the drum for
the global economy, it is not clear whether they are really talking about
international trade relations or the sleazy destructive rackets that have
insidiously replaced the former productive activity of the United States - especially
insofar as the suburban project can be categorized as the greatest misallocation
of resources in the history of the world precisely because it will be so
value-less in the future.

         It must be obvious, by the way, that this ominous shift from
value-based economic activity to the short-term luxury lifestyle racket was supported
by both major political parties. Bill Clinton was as much a booster for a
suburban-development-based economy as Ronald Reagan or both Bushes - and in some
ways, Clinton was more the pure product of a Wal-Mart society than the
Republicans ever could be. Nor did Clinton's successors as Democratic presidential
candidates deviate from the program. Neither Al Gore nor John Kerry dared stand
up against the destructive activities of the suburban "home-builders" or the
idea that America might be imperiling its future by making such massive
misinvestments in automobile dependency. Clinton, Gore, and Kerry were equal
enthusiasts for the permanent offshoring of industry - in effect, the continued
dismantling of America's manufacturing base. (I write as a registered Democrat,
incidentally) "

                                                                           -
Snip

*