[at-l] Natural Disasters...

In a message dated 9/7/2005 7:34:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jbullar1@twcny.rr.com writes:

Nobody  was looting, nobody was shooting at
anyone. As people talked about what  they needed, generators topped the list
followed by food and water. No one  even mentioned guns or ammunition. So
what gives with needing a gun? I  just don't understand that.

The first sentence probably is your answer.  If there are not people  who are
trying to take what is yours, then there is no need to protect your
property.  If there are gangs who feel that they have the right to steal  your stuff
and you want to keep it for yourself and your own family then a  weapon might
be useful.  If you are wealthy enough to be able to replace  what is stolen
without too much inconvenience then it might be better to let the  old stuff go
and have the opportunity to buy new stuff.

However, if what someone else wanted was going to cost you or your family
member their life or endanger their health (such as an Oxygen tank, warm
blankest in cold, a generator for refrigeration of medication, etc.) then some  way
of protecting those possessions might be called for.

Some neighbors have the same values as you do and won't try to take what
does not belong to them.  Some neighbors are out for their own survival and  say
"to hell with what others need, I want it."  I never understood the  need for
gated communities or for co-op rules or condo rules until someone  explained
to me that people of similar values and circumstances prevent  problems.  Oh,
to be sure, there are individuals in every situation who are  not good
neighbors (just look at the AT and the way some people hoard Shelter  space when it
rains) and then the situation needs to be dealt with (though not  with weapons,
but with conversation that educates).

JMHO

Skylander