[at-l] CNN Report AND Other Hiking Suggestions

At 01:04 PM 9/7/2005 -0400, Sklander wrote:

>What a great idea!  Perhaps other hiking clubs could do the  same.
>
>I know that along the AT there are fragile woods on either side of the  trail
>and it might not be good to encourage Long Distance hikers to wander from
>the path but does anyone know of areas where it is good to
>"bushwhack?"   Since
>there would not be any marked trails to guide people, would it be
>more  "Leave
>No Trace" to hike in woods without others hiking the same path?  Is  there a
>plus to Bushwhacking?  Is this an issue that stirs the inner demons  (and to
>encourage that) should this be something done only by those carrying a
>GPS/Cellphone?

There are several issues all mixed up here.

The high ridges of the White Mountains really are special,
in that the flora there has an extremely short growing
season -- and because trail usage in those ridges is
extremely high.  On the Franconia Ridge on a nice
summer weekend, there may well be hundreds of
day hikers on the short stretch between Lafayette
and Lincoln summits.

Snows can begin in September and aren't fully
melted until June.  (Memorial Day is when thousands
gather to ski in Tuckerman's Ravine.)

Bushwhacking in some parts of the Whites would be
extremely difficult, if not impossible - not to say dangerous.
The undergrowth is so thick that, 10 feet off the trail,
you'd never know there *was* a trail.

Furthermore those inclined to bushwhacking are
not going to be Long Distance hikers.  The two
just don't go together, at least not on the same hike.

There is of course "blue blazing" which is another
matter, and a good way to reduce traffic on the AT.
At the very least, blue blaze trails may offer solitude
that the AT itself has lost due to heavy use.

As to Bush whacking (as in "dubya") I say go for it.

rafe b
aka terrapin