[at-l] (no subject)

Some of The Hurricane Victims are in Texas and the  problem is growing in
terms of rendering aid.  These people have lost  everything but their lives and
need some direction soon.  Is there any plan  to re-direct their lives?  The
feeding and care cannot go on forever.   I hope that there are Social Workers,
Counselors, Religious Organizations, and  representatives from New Orleans and
Louisiana as well as the good people from  Houston who are talking to these
people and organizing some  aftercare.
The report from Houston:
It's 4:45 a.m. on Friday, September 2nd, and tension is rising at the
Astrodome in Houston.
The governor of Texas and the mayor of Houston have opened the Astrodome to
evacuees from Louisiana. The enormous ground level of the Astrodome has
already  filled to absolute capacity with thousands of small cots, and every one is
taken. There are not enough to go around, and some hold mother and child or
two  children. Many others sleep on blankets in the hallways that ring every
level of  the dome, and hundreds more try to sleep in the hard wooden chairs
meant to  house sports fans for three hours at a time.
Against this surreal backdrop, a lonely figure trudges the uneven aisles
holding a cardboard sign aloft with the names of loved ones who are missing.
Our small group of volunteers has just arrived to help serve breakfast in the
 Astrodome, but we quickly learn that the plan has changed. For the safety of
the  untold thousands already here, the fire marshal has closed the Astrodome
to new  arrivals, but the evacuation is chaotic, and the buses just keep
coming.
"All those buses still have people on them," someone with a walkie-talkie
tells us, pointing to a line of darkened motor coaches stretching out of sight
around the dome. "We're opening Reliant Arena (a separate building nearby),
but  the situation there is tense. We need you over there."
We load tables and supplies into two trucks and walk from the Astrodome to
Reliant Arena, where we pass an impromptu medical "clinic" filled with sick and
 injured evacuees and bleary-eyed doctors, nurses, paramedics and police
officers.
On the far side of the building, we arrive at a room where we will serve
breakfast, and through a long wall of glass, we get our first glimpse of the new
arrivals outside. Standing ten deep, in lines that run the length of our
large  room and stretch out of sight, these are the first who arrived after the
Astrodome?s closing. Out there in the darkness, thousands more are still in
their buses. No one on this side of the glass knows what they have already
endured to get here. Many have spent the prior four days in the sweltering heat
and stench of the Superdome, the closest thing to hell on earth.
Now they have heard that the Astrodome is full and do not know whether they
will be allowed to stay or be bused to another city, or to another state. They
 are at their wits' end. Tempers have flared, emotions are high.
Within an hour we are ready to serve and the doors are opened. As evacuees
enter the building, their identities are recorded, and they proceed immediately
 to our three serving lines for their first hot meal in days: two waffles,
two  sausage patties, one pat of butter, one serving of syrup, one box of juice
and  one big spoonful of grits.
During the next five hours the line moves continuously. Word filters in that
Houston has opened its convention center to evacuees as well, and some of the
 volunteers leave our building and the Astrodome to help out downtown.
Hundreds  of other volunteers pour in to replace them, including at least 25 travel
counselors and the top management from Vacations To Go.
I've never volunteered in such an enormous operation coming together on the
fly, but I have only good things to say about the supervisor from food service
 company Aramark, and the people I could not see behind the scenes. We knew
the  folks on the other side of the glass were desperately hungry, and we
worried  among ourselves whether the food would last. None of us knew how much food
there  was, or how many waited outside, but we did know that no one had
expected this  huge new group for breakfast. We ran out of some things, for a
while, but we  never ran out of everything at the same time, and the food line
never stopped.
By 11:15, every one of our neighbors from New Orleans had entered the
facility and received a hot meal.
I will not soon forget the faces of the people as they came through the line.
 Many were dazed or grieving, and some still wore the clothes they had on
when  Katrina struck. Some wore bandages and struggled to hold their plates
steady.  Others tried to smile, and made a point of expressing their gratitude and
shaking our hands in the midst of having lost everything.
The little old ladies, with their sugary Nawlins drawls of "Thank you,
darlin'," were truly a sign of Amazing Grace.
But this was just the first meal of the day, in the first week of the first
month that evacuees will need help. It?s a scenario that is playing out across
 Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida.
The Deep South is in trouble, and the need is as wide and as deep as the
Mississippi.