[at-l] People reach out

This, below, came to me from a local emergency worker in our area.  I'm
quite sure that instances such as these have happened at other places, over
and over - timeless times.  Let's be thankful that people care and that many
organizations are doing all that they can at their disposal to help.

The immensity of the catastrophe is mind boggling - I heard that the
destruction area is the size of Great Britain.  Remember that Katrina stayed
in hurricane status hundreds of miles north of the Gulf Coast leaving roads
washed out, death and destruction, with all kinds of logistical problems.
We live in a push button society and expect immediate fixes.   That just
doesn't happen in the best of circumstances.  I understand frustration and
anger. all evoked by tragedies such as this.    Let's all of us, do our part
to help out with what we have.  rusty

It's humbling to see the outpouring of generosity of the Northeast Kingdom
people in times of crisis. Some of the things I saw Friday made my eyes
water from time to time......let me tell you....

Now, the $1000 check was repeated 4 times Friday. Yes, correct, 4 times. The
VFW, Lyndon Youth Soccer, Lydal Westex and one other....

Also, not sure if you saw it or not, but I watched an elderly couple, both
walking with canes, shuffle slowly over to the Red Cross table from Central
Street. He reached into his pants pocket and pulled out a large bankroll.
This wad of bills was around 2 inches in diameter and rolled tightly. With
big smiles on both their faces, he held it in his hand and dropped it in
Gen's hand. I believe his words were "They can use this more that we can"
and they turned and walked off. Gen asked for their names, but they keep
walking and wished to remain annonymous. When she opened the roll, there was
over $700 in cash there. Marty, I had tears in my eyes for about an hour
after that. It amazes me how people come together when the need arises.....

Dave