[at-l] Natural Disasters and Solutions to Future Problems

In a message dated 9/2/2005 5:06:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
atr3dhead@gmail.com writes:

I have a question on this topic, and would appreciate if anyone could  tell
me if I was hallucinating, or if my local paper is perhaps on  drugs.  But did
Bush really say something to the effect that we will take  care of our own,
and we really don't need any of the help being offered by all  the countries
that have so far offered money, portable hospitals, and numerous  other forms of
aid?

I read the NY Times and other papers but did not see any reference to a
refusal of aid from other countries; however, that does not mean that he didn't
say that.  If so it was a foolish statement as the amount of aid needed is
beyond comprehension at this time.

The anger expressed in the Letters to the Editor and by some on this  Website
regarding the looters and such is a startling reminder that there are  those
who do not understand what it means to be poor, confused, unable to
comprehend the enormity of the situation, and without private transportation to  escape
an impending storm.  Someone suggested to me that there was a hope  that
overshadowed practical thinking, which precluded a proper plan to cope with
disaster.

As I ruminate about the situation I think that FEMA needs an advisory board
consisting of a representative from each of the national agencies that have
experience with coping with disasters.  There should be a plan of action  for
every conceivable threat to our "homeland security" whether attack from a
terrorist group or more likely from weather.  This Advisory Board should  have
power to enact planning and require that FEMA adhere to suggested  plans.

Those members of the Advisory Board would include representation from The
Red Cross, The Salvation Army, Medical, Police, Fire, and Long Term Care
facilities, Church World Service, The United Nations World Relief Organization,
Doctors without Borders, and other such organizations.  The makeup of the  board
should be persons who are authorized to speak for the various  organizations
and also be persons who have actual experience in dealing with  disaster type
situations.  In the publicity for public contributions The  Salvation Army
indicated some detailed plans for their involvement in New  Orleans and their
readiness to put into action their plans.  Perhaps some  Architectural or
Construction input into planning would be helpful as  well.  The U.S, Army Corps of
Engineers might be included.  There  are Hurricanes, Floods, Fires, etc., that
happen all over the country from time  to time.  All contingencies need to be
explored and plans to stem the  disasters need to be implemented.

I am surprised that this is not already in place but there may be "control
issues" at stake and we know what happened with those issues prevented
communication between the law enforcement agencies in the Federal Government in  the
recent past.

The President of the United States is the only one who can implement this  by
fiat.  Congress could pass a law that it happens and then the  President
would either sign it into law or put forth suggestions for  improving any
implementation.  Of course, Congress would have to fund  the costs of such planning
and implementation.

Perhaps letters toward accomplishing this might provide impetus toward its
adoption and reality.

Skylander Jack