[at-l] More pondering

I was thinking this morning about the comment someone made about taking
yourself somewhere else if things are bad where you are and the likelihood
that you would run into people willing to help along the way.

It took me back to my Army days when I used to hitchhike quite a lot
because the pay back then was only $90/month. I found that if I stood in
one place with my thumb out, I'd end up standing there a long time. OTOH If
I threw my duffel bag over my shoulder and started walking, only stopping
to stick my thumb out when a car was approaching, I got rides much more
quickly or at worst I got there under my own power. It seems that people
are quicker to help those who are making an effort to help themselves than
those who sit and wait.

I know it's hot there and they have no food and water but if I were one of
those with legs that work, I'd be walkin'. I might not get there. I might
die for lack of water, but I'd rather die tryin' than die sittin'.