[at-l] Sea level and all that..was something else.

Walt Daniels wrote:

>>I know I am going to be burned in effigy for this, but has
>>anyone thought that maybe this should not be rebuilt? This is
>>a flood plain for one of the largest lakes in the U.S. (half
>>the size of Rhode Island) and one of the largest and most
>>swift rivers in the world. I truly feel for these people that
>>have lost EVERYTHING. This is terrible terrible.But this was
>>a disaster waiting to happen. You can only hold mother nature
>>back for so long before it busts loose. And when it decided
>>to bust loose, no canal or flood wall is going to help in any way.
>>
>>Dawg
>>

>I won't do the burning. Similar thoughts had occurred to me. Perhaps not as
>strong as "not rebuilt", but certainly some of the considerations should be
>the cost effectiveness of building in a disaster prone area below sealevel.
>
>So far they are in disaster recovery mode. I hope someone somewhere is doing
>some serious long term planning.

My engineer skewling didn't make it very far...but, I am still able to
do this kinda figgering:

_________________
__________________________
Sea
level
Lake Pontchartrain level

                                    New Orleans level

Now, something just doesn't seem right about that. And, I agree with
Dawg that I think it's unfortunate that so many people have been so
horribly affected. BUT, I still like it when nature kicks us in the ass
a bit and lets us know who's boss. Some things we're just not supposed
to do.  And, I agree with Walt that the ugly side of humanity seems to
be getting uglier.