[at-l] OT: Katrina-displaced College Students

I work at the University of Central Florida, now among the top 10 largest (number of students) in the US.  Just a few minutes ago we all got notice that UCF would allow displaced college students to attend UCF this semester (at in-state tuition rates) and help them make up what they have missed since our first day of classes this semester (August 22).  Text follows.  Please pass this along if you know any students who might qualify.

Joan
bluetrail@aol.com

To: Campus Community
From: John C. Hitt, President
Submitted by: Beth Barnes, Vice President and Chief of Staff
Beginning today, the University of Central Florida will allow college
students displaced by Hurricane Katrina to register for classes on a
space-available basis.
Students who were enrolled this fall at universities that have been closed
because of the hurricane may apply to UCF by 5 p.m. Friday, Sept. 9.
Students can call 407-823-6188 for enrollment information; a 1-800 number
will be posted at www.ucf.edu later this week. Because UCF started classes
Aug. 22, admissions staff will work one-on-one with displaced students to
expedite admission, enrollment, and financial assistance processes.
Application fees will be waived, and students will pay in-state tuition
rates. UCF will provide guidance and tutoring assistance, as well as
referrals for housing and other necessities.
Students will be offered admission on a case-by-case basis and will be
required to sign a form verifying that they were registered elsewhere and
have been displaced. Students who are unable to provide transcripts and
other official materials immediately will be allowed to do so at a later
date.
Our hearts go out to the students and families who have lost so much
because of this devastating storm. By allowing students to resume their
academic careers with as little interruption as possible, we hope to help
them overcome this tragedy and get on with their lives. I urge you to
welcome them into our community and make their transition as smooth
possible.