[at-l] I awoke this morning...

In a message dated 8/31/2005 10:54:21 AM Eastern Standard Time,
shane@theplacewithnoname.com writes:
*
*
*
I may or may not be able to get back to the house next week for a day or two
and get it patched up and get back up.
*
*
*

           From what I am hearing no traffic is being allowed back into
Jefferson Parish.

        The main levees held on both Pontchartrain and the Mississippi River.
It was the drainage canals that pump rainwater into these water bodies that
breached. They were steel reinforced concrete and officials are having trouble
understanding why they didn't hold. The feds are upping the attempt to patch
the breaches with concrete highway dividers and 3-10,000 pound special bags
filled with gravel. They are looking to block the canal entrances to the lake by
maybe sinking a barge in the opening. They said after that is successful it
will take a month to 4 months to pump out the city. They are optimistic that
they can save the main pumps.

        One report said the flood inside the city will level soon with the
lake and ease the flooding. They are saying Pontchartrain is slowly starting to
recede at about a half inch an hour.

       The mayor told CNN that "maybe thousands are dead" but credible
sources have e-mailed CNN saying the actual numbers will be "staggering".