[at-l] troll ?

I carefully avoided the term "morality" -- as I claim no "moral high ground"
relative to nudity.

On a personal level, I am not offended by nudity.  I've been to nude beaches.
I've been to clothing optional events.  I've visited other places and
countries where mixed gender nudity is the social norm in certain settings.

My reaction is to the "in your face" aspect and the presumption to lecture
others who are "personally offended by ... nudity ... [on the AT, that] it's
time they grow up."

There are public places where by law, or well known practice, one has every
expectation to encounter other nude people.  It is this "expectation" that
allows some to avoid, while others to seek out, such places -- as that
practice fits into their ethics, convention, sense of good taste, etc.

The "expectation" on the AT is otherwise and I believe that social boundaries
and rules of etiquette on the matter of nudity in public places should
prevail.

This belief on my part is based in part on respect of others, but more
importantly on my love of the trail.

There are those who really hate the AT, those want to "develop" the area that
they see as "wasted" on a few undeserving hikers.

Then there are those who would take from us what we need to maintain the
trail. Many horse folk, many ATV's, many snowmobiles, many four-wheelers, many
off-road bicyclers, etc, want access to the Trail to ride on.

It seems as if everyone want the $s for another pet project.  And funds are
getting shorter -- in real $.

As funds get scarce for outdoor recreation, we cannot afford to offend that
family, that scout group, that church youth group, etc.

Good press, good vibes help us. The reverse hurts us.  The degree to which
we tarnish the typical person's image (or stereotype, if you will) of what
the AT is all about we erode our much-needed support in the political and the
funding processes.

I know I have expressed concerns about the reorganization and direction of the
ATC, in the past.  However, on this issue I will defer to their judgment.
When they publish a "clothing optional" image of the AT, I will acknowledge
that "clothing optional" is good for fund raising, provides political support,
helps provide for the future of the trail, etc.

Chainsaw