[at-l] "Free Hiking" :-)

At 10:11 PM 8/26/2005 -0400, ATtrailhiker@wmconnect.com wrote:
>FWD: Subj:  [Camping and Hiking] "Free Hiking"
>Date:   8/26/2005 4:15:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time
>From:    harryandsallyquade2005@yahoo.com (harryandsallyquade2005)
>Sender:    campingandhiking@yahoogroups.com
>To:    campingandhiking@yahoogroups.com
>
>     Recently I ran into the following on a blog.
>
>http://nudeling.blogspot.com/2005/08/nude-hiking-and-families-with-
>kids.html
>
>Nude Hiking and Families with Kids
>
>Recently, when discussing nude hiking (Free Hiking) in several of the
>Yahoo groups, it was expressed by several people that they were
>concerned about meeting families with children on the trail so they
>don't hike nude. I'm not sure why these folks were concerned.
>Perhaps they think being nude in front of children is not
>appropriate. Perhaps they think the parents might be offended and
>cause trouble.
>
>As far as the parents are concerned, I say so what. I don't go
>out of my way to offend but am not overly concerned that I may do so.
>...clip...
>
>My question is what would you do if you were hiking with your family
>and ran into this "Free Hiker" or any other "Free Hiker" for that
>matter?  Would seeing a nude hiker be offensive to you or would you
>just shrug it off, perhaps giggle a bit and move on?  Would you take
>any action? Would you be hostile? Would you be approving?

I'd say "Hi" and go on with my hike. Well, if it was a pretty young woman I
might find an excuse to chat about the weather for a bit or offer a tick
inspection. :)

Seriously, I have nothing against nudity per se but we do live in a society
where it is not generally accepted and I think it is arrogant to go nude in
a public place and expect that others should respond as he puts it "If the
parents are personally offended by my nudity ... it's time they grow up."
Respect of others and their beliefs is part of being grown up too. As I
tried (unsuccessfully I fear) to point out in the great c... Ph.... debate,
belief does not make something *TRUE* for anyone but you and you won't
convince others of your POV by slapping them in the face with your version
of reality.

"Don't annoy others, don't be too easily annoyed."