[at-l] Three things hikers talk about

>>tossed the condoms into the hiker box at the Place,
>>where the male hikers
>>were pulling them back out. Ginny's one word
>>observation on this story was
>>"Optimists!". <g>

One of my favorite stories from the AT is one my least
flattering moments. A moment that makes me go "DOH!".

I was on Mt. Moosilaukee just before the 4th of July
weekend in 1998. Had been on the trail for 4 mos. Was
tan, muscular, fit and with a grizzly adams-eque look
going full force.  Didn't look half-bad, as the saying
goes.

On this summit, spent quite a few times soaking up the
views. This mountain is maintaned by the Dartmouth
Outing Club.On the mountain were two young women from
Darmouth. We chatted quite a while. One of the women
invited me down to the nearby Raven Lodge to "hang
out" and maybe watch some firworks later that night. I
24 yo at the time, so about the same age as them, too.

So what did I do? Did I jump at the chance to spend
some time with a said young lady? Did I enjoy the
fireworks, good food and whatever else may have been
offered? (Get yer mind out of the gutters! :-P)

Nope..like many men in their early 20s, had the
attitude of "gotta keep moving".
STUPID! STUPID! STUPID! :)

If my 31 yo self could go back in time, I'd slap my 24
yo self very hard! :D In my defense, was very shy
around women then (more so than now in any case) and
the idea of someone hitting on me was very alien.
Would not have picked up on it unless I was hit with a
4x4. Naturally, as I hanging around a campsite with
other bearded dudes, eating Mac N' Cheese, it occured
to me what happened. Doh!

I'd like to say I learned a lesson from that..but
there is another story two years later about a park
ranger in Rocky Mtn NP. Had just finished a hike in
the park and my friend and I see a park ranger. We
start talking and he asks me about the hike we just
did.  Long story short she said "I'm new to this park
and hope to meet someone who knows the park better
than I do".  I said that sure she will and wished her
a good day. My friend asked me back in the car if I
was a moron. :) He had to break down what happened.
Doh!

Seven years after the moosilaukee incident, finally
got a little bit of a clue. Just a small one mind you.
;-)

--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com