[at-l] Sandals, socks, boots...

At 11:43 PM 8/24/2005 -0500, Shane wrote:

> > Thinking about doing next week's hike in running
> > shoes.  Hell, it's only Massachusetts.  45 miles in
> > three days, nice light pack.  Piece of cake, right?
>
>Should be.  Just remember the rule: If they hurt, take 'em off.
>
>Let us know how it goes.

Shane, I'm not sure what sorts of trails you've
walked.  If I recall, you haven't walked on the
AT yet (slap me down if I'm wrong about that.)

Anyway, in the more typical case, I can't imagine
walking the AT barefoot.  Not *these* bare feet,
anyway.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's been
done or tried, of course.

Pine needle forest... maybe, but these are often
littered with roots and sharp rocks.  Meadows,
roadwalks -- ok, except for gravel.

Most of what I read about hiking in PA --
never hiked there myself -- suggests it would
be nasty with bare feet.  Having said that, I'm
sure someone knows someone who's done it.

The main problem I see with sandals (and not
from experience in the woods) is scree and
twigs and other small bits of debris getting
underfoot.  In "the real world" I prefer sandals
to any other footwear.

rafe b
aka terrapin