[at-l] Sandals, socks, boots...

At 09:57 PM 8/24/2005 -0500, Shane wrote:

<snip of lots of good stuff>

>Depending on the terrain, it's a wonderful way to go.  I've also found that
>wearing three pairs of socks without any shoes is also really good since you
>get a similar feel to barefooting, but get some cushion against prickly
>things.  You trash socks pretty quickly that way, though...

Shane, that was interesting.  I walked a couple
miles of the trail in Maine, barefoot -- just as I
was leaving Baxter -- and it was heavenly.

I haven't worn leather boots in ages.  Though
if I could find a pair of Fabiano Trionics (a
time machine, maybe?) I'd wear 'em happily.
Major miles, never once got blisters with those.

In Vermont in 2002, I wore a pair of Dunham
lightweight boots that I got by mail order from
Campmor -- because they had my size in 4EE
width.  The boots worked out great, but have
started to fall apart in the 2 or 3 years since.

This summer, my Campmor mail-order boots
didn't work out so well.  Just one of several
things that went a-kilter.

Thinking about doing next week's hike in running
shoes.  Hell, it's only Massachusetts.  45 miles in
three days, nice light pack.  Piece of cake, right?

rafe b
aka terrapin