Hourly Calory Use -- [Was: Re: [at-l] Re: Weight Loss]

At 05:40 PM 8/24/2005 -0400, David Hicks wrote:
>I've seen this and similar figures on a number of web sites, as well as in
>print.
>
>However, I have never seen where they came from, or how derived.
>
>The calculations used by the government (Mil and Civ) for temperate weather
>activities vary by age, but are in the range of:
>
>45 calories an hour per 100 pounds (hiker + pack) for level walking.
>Plus 110 cal  per 100 pounds (hiker + pack) for each 1000 feet of elevation
>gain.
>
>To reach 900 calories per hour walking on the level hiker and pack would need
>to be a ton.

The link I listed calculates calorie burn based on your weight and the
activity. Using my weight (I'm not telling so don't bother askin') and
hiking up and down hills with a 21-42# pack I got a calorie burn of 907/hr.
If you hiked 10 hours/day you'd be over 9000 calories burnt.