Weight Loss -- [Was: Re: [at-l] Pack Liners]

Wow, I had a little trouble following that :) but I think that any loss of
muscle is the byproduct of inadequate intake of calories/nutrients relative
to those being expended. A hiker can easily exceed burning 4000
calories/day so if you don't take in 4000 calories, they have to come from
somewhere. You body is programmed to retain some fat as reserve so when you
get down to a certain level it will start converting your less used muscle
tissue to make up the deficit. Quite a few thru-hikers report reaching a
point in their hike of having low/no energy only to discover they weren't
eating enough and their body was 'eating itself'. When they upped their
intake, their energy level was restored.

BTW there is a handy activity/calorie burn calculator at
<http://www.caloriesperhour.com/>.