[at-l] random thoughts from reading the latest digest or two . . .

1)  my best "extra" hygiene tip to go with the stuff sparked by Shane's
great e-mail - cut your hair SHORT and keep it short - the worst thing
in the world is greasy, hat-head hair!  come on, you gals can do it, too! :)

2)  Hey Jan - I have always wanted to jump out of airplanes - let us
know how it goes!

3)  I gotta know more about Felix's fun times with the GA law - where is
the clamor for part two of "chain of events!?"  did felix get to know
the jailer?  how were the cellmates?  did he use his one call to order
out for pizza and little debbies?  did a "Ray of hope" fall on his
shoulders in the form of a returned pack from Ray's truck?  did Ray
adopt him as his GA pig-son? :)  inquiring, stinky, unhygenic hiker
minds wanna know!

4)  For those not too hung up on supporting local stores to catch a good
deal, right now REI.com is selling the normally $100 awesome Keen
sandals for $69 - gotta order fast as they usually don't do this one for
long . . .

5)  Great history lesson re AT-L and RnR by Tim! :)

6)  On a more serious note, there was a time when I liked reading some
of RnR's posts - I only wish he could back up a notch, understand that
day-to-day interactions with other people is a hugely important part of
life, and give himself - and us - a chance to learn, grow and interact
in a more positive environment . . . what does one's view of nature, the
Trail and the environment matter if one has burned every possible bridge
in getting that view across???????  Life deserves more; life in the
eternal sense (here, and perhaps later, see below) demands more

7)  Rafe's post re heaven and hell struck a chord with me . . . I'm 48,
and have struggled with my own definition of "Christianity" (I
personally hate that term) for a long time . . . in more recent years of
"thru-thinking," I have latched on to a couple of concepts that I've
mentioned before - such as the thought that every relationship in your
life is eternal - i.e., somewhere in your mind is a reverberating memory
of every single encounter you have had with any other person, and much
of what life is really about is how you come to terms with those
memories - express, supressed, conscious and unconscious - which leads
me to one of my latest musings, which is to take this thought a step
further and postulate that if you "believe" in at least the possibility
of some spiritual existence beyond the grave, isn't it darn likely that
your spirit will continue to remember every single relationship you had
while in your physical body?  And if this is true, perhaps the best
definition of heaven versus hell is simply that - your collective,
eternal memory bank about how you handled each and every relationship
that Life/God brought your way during your time here on earth.  Think on
that for a bit, and it can get to you! :)  . . . I know "closure" is one
of those "overused" words, but the more I think about my own life, and
my own passionate, often tempermental nature, the more I conclude that
achieving "closure" or "peace" with all my relationships is - well, the
key to life and perhaps the key to eternal life as well . . . when you
strip away much of the dogma, isn't that the living example that Jesus
set(s) for us?  For me, in a strange way, the Trail and much of the
out-of-doors offers a chance to have eternal relationships with
something deeply fundamental to our character and our essence and our
past, and our future as well . . . I do not know how to name it, but I
do know that it is equally important for me to achieve "closure" and
"peace" with how I "am" relative to other people and to what I value in
nature as well  . . .  perhaps two aspects of the same journey?

thru-thinker

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.