[at-l] "Good stuff" not found in books.

In a message dated 8/22/2005 3:12:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rafeb@speakeasy.net writes:

Sometimes when folks ask, "how do I prepare for a thru hike"
I  suggest this:  try a week with no running water, no stove,
no  toilet...

Many homeless people in NYC do it for long periods. True there are  restrooms
in public places, soup kitchens in various churches and other  locations, and
no need for a stove at all.

Of course, access to restrooms is easier if one is dressed as an average  New
Yorker or if one is buying a beer in a bar, etc., but Public Libraries,
Malls, Department Stores, Bookstores, etc., all have accessible restrooms.

Some homeless people sleep in the churches in NYC that open their doors and
provide supervision and protection.

But digging a toilet is a skill that can best be carried out on the AT or
some other trail.  Drinking from a stream or creek or Spring takes some
knowledge of their location.  Cooking on the trail requires a source of  funding so
food can be bought and necessary equipment will be available.   Learning how to
do this requires an inquiring mind, good observational skills  (at Shelters
or camps along the trail) and access to stores that sell what is  needed.

Skylander