[at-l] re:Hiking the Appalachian Trail

In a message dated 8/19/2005 3:53:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
athummingbird@dnet.net writes:
some of my fondest
childhood hiking memories were hiking the Whites with my parents.  We
would never worry about carrying water as we just scooped it up in our
hands and drank it.  No such think as Giarrdia or such.  No worries
about pollution then.  No crowds either.  Oh the Whites were so peaceful
then......
----
We'd leave the coast of Maine and head for the mountains or every childhood
trip I can remember. We'd camp just North of Lost River the first two weeks of
July every summer in the 1960s, fish and do hikes and climbs all over the
Whites.
In 1964(?) I met my first AT hikers, two Jewish kids who had walked all the
way from New York and were camping at the site next to us. Knowing this list,
I'll probably hear from someone who knows who they were! :O)
Teej