[at-l] re: Snodrog5 at aol.com

max patch wrote:

>Jim wrote:
>"Uh - Teej --
>Let's not get silly here - his first thru was in 1973 - and it was not van
>supported."
>
>Well...Warrens first hike in '73 may not have been "van" supported, but
>you=
>'ll recall that on a 66 1/2 day hike his Dad met him at trail crossings in
>=
>the family car for a month. Cooked him supper, too.

Hmm - I didn't remember 66 1/2 days but I'll take your word for it.  But
that would mean he was hiking about a 30 mpd average.  If you wanta put him
down for what he did, you need to be honest enough to tell us if you'd pass
up that kind of support if you were doing that kind of mileage.  And then
there's the question of whether you would or could do that kind of mileage.
And then there's the question as to what support you had on your hike.

So, anyway - I'm curious - are you saying your hike was better or more valid
than his?  And if not - (and this isn't directed just at you) - why all the
"jump on the bandwagon to trash Warren?"

Frankly - what I've seen is a lot of people trashing Warren over things they
haven't done and, in many cases, couldn't do.  Yeah - both here and on
Whiteblaze.  It's called "envy."   And it's always ridiculous - and it's
never pretty.

Warren's van supported hikes are just as much thruhikes as anyone else's.
He still walks the distance - and usually a lot more.  And - whether anyone
else knows it or not - he does a lot of backpacking.

I didin't even suggest that you should "like" him - but if you're gonna
trash him or anyone else, at least come up with some valid reason.

Walk softly,
Jim

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/