[at-l] Greg's Dilemma...

At 01:42 PM 8/19/2005 -0400, Bob C. wrote:

>"My question is, why would you care?"
>
>My question is, can you think of a better, or easier, way for me to tell
>my wife when to send my mail drops. I calculated what I could easily
>calculate. I didn't calculate estimated miles of being lost, because I had
>no idea what those miles might be. Nor could I calculate reroutes, since I
>decided to hike only at the last minute and the only Wingfoot guide I
>could find in Maine was two years old.
>
>I did call Harpers Ferry and was assured that not much had changed.

I figured it was not smart to plan my progress too
far in advance.

I planned grocery stops every five days on average,
and food drops every ten days or so.  (The plan is
detailed in that PDF I mentioned earlier.)

I figured I would call home from town, if need be,
to update the upcoming food-drop location(s) and
delivery date(s).  Beyond that, it wasn't necessary
for folks at home to know my precise whereabouts.

At any given time, there were never more than
two food drops waiting for me up-trail.  Overall,
the plan worked out well.

If I had it to do over again, I'd rely more heavily
on local groceries and use fewer mail drops.

rafe b
aka terrapin