[at-l] Greg's Dilemma...

At 10:20 AM 8/19/2005 -0400, Weary wrote:

>The easy way to calculate 13 mile days was to do what Wingfoot has now
>done with his guide, start at both ends and print the accumulated miles to
>Springer and Katahdin. So that's what I did. Since I had to get to
>Springer's summit I started by adding in those eight miles.
>
>Had I been going southbound, I would have similarly added in the five
>miles extra needed for the round trip to Katahdin's summit.
>
>After I spent an evening doing the accumulated mileage calculations,
>someone suggested the forest service road. I never seriously considered
>that option for the reasons previously cited.

My question is, why would you care?

If it's the process that matters, the being there,
why would the exact mile count matter  -- to
you or anyone else?

The trail's length seems to change just about
every year.  There will be detours and reroutes.

On more than one occasion, I'd found that I'd
inadvertently left and re-joined the AT -- usually
I was following the "old" trail and missed a
newer reroute.

Pecks' Corner Shelter in the Smokies is
nearly a mile off the trail.  Do I get to add
two miles for having stayed there?

Then there's that idiotic "around the cornfield"
march down near Falls Village CT.  I wouldn't
blame anyone for skipping it.  I did the "pure"
thing and then felt really stupid about it, after
seeing where it had led me.

That cornfield march really makes me wonder
about some AT trail planners...

rafe b
aka terrapin