[at-l] Greg's Dilemma...

At 10:31 PM 8/18/2005 -0400, Bob C wrote:

>"Are you saying that you didn't want to be troubled
>for the next five months with a nagging 8-mile error
>in your careful calculations?"
>
>Yup. Plus like you I thought worrying about an extra 8 miles on a 2,160+
>mile walk didn't warrant more than couple of seconds of thought. I also
>had the thought that one shouldn't start off on a long walk trying to cut
>miles on the first day. Psychologically, it just seemed unwise. I knew
>that the trail was as much a mental as a physical challenge. I didn't want
>to start off with a scheme to cut  miles. I knew the temptation would
>arise again and again. It didn't seem wise to give in to the temptation on
>day one.

Well there's a lot of truth in all that -- about the
shortcuts and temptations and all.

I had no goalposts or set timetable.  I knew I
needed to maintain a certain average daily
mileage to get to K.

After two months on the trail I was averaging
11 miles a day (overall,) and I knew I needed
to make 13.  Town stops and bad attitude did
me in.

If I'd been wise, I'd have accepted 11 and
kept going.

rafe b
aka terrapin