[at-l] A Different Ethical Dilemma...

ROFL!  HYOH doesn't involve ethical problems when it comes to blue blazing.

I started down at the visitors' center and continued to Katahdin.

This may be a "do" vs "be" question as recently posted to the list.  Are you a
person who wants to "do" the trail or one who wants to "be" on the trail?
If you are "being" on the trail, it hardly matters where your start, where you
go nor where (or when) you finish.
If you are "doing" the trail, then you *might* consider the approach trail to
be part of the exercise, along with "rules" like passing every white blaze,
finishing in 43 days (or 343) or stopping only in towns that sell liquor.