[at-l] Greg's Dilemma...

"It amuses me that anyone would think for more than
a few seconds about an 8-mile hike as a warmup to
a 2160 thru-hike." reports rafe b

That was my contention also when people tried to persuade me to skip the 8 miles in 1993. I thought the approach trail was a perfectly fine trail, with a lot of interesting things -- including a crashed single-engine plane with trees growing up through the wreckage.

I didn't really even think a "few" seconds. I had gone through the data book and carefully calculated the mileage from Amicalola to resupply points along the trail and from resupply points to Katahdin, so I always knew how far I had walked and how far I had left. I wasn't going to throw all that work away to save eight miles.

Weary