[at-l] re:Hiking the Appalachian Trail

> Went looking for one of those at one time - decided
> it was too expensive and
> I'd just keep on using fire.  But that was waaay
> back.

I was reading Gene Epsy's pack list. Listed a primus
white gas  stove..and  note that that more or less
said oddly enough he did not make a campfire! Now it
is reverse..if you always make a camp fire, it is odd.

Check out this Coleman ad from 1944:
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~we2a-sod/stove-data/co-m530ad.htm

No word on the ounces in the ad. :)

As a a side note: One of the tag lines in the ad says
for "hundreds of use for home - after the war".

October 1944 and they were already they were marketing
to the GIs!

I have my grandfather's discharge papers from WW2. He
received those papers at the same time he received his
demobilization pay. ($300 total if anyone is curious
what 3 yrs of combat would get you in those days...)
The papers were in a nice, brown leather holder...from
a clothing company called (I believe) the Men's
Store!

"Welcome back to the US! Here's your money and
papers..and won't you consider getting some nice new
civillian clothes at our store".  :)

Ah the more things change....

> Congratulations.  I'm glad "hikers" are getting them
> rather than
> "collectors".  We got ours from one of the authors -
> brand new still wrapped
> in cellophone.  And he wouldn't sell it to us until
> he was satisfied that we
> were actually hikers.  He was really pleased to find
> out that we were
> thruhikers.

I honestly believe books are meant to be read..not
just put on a shelf and admired. Too bad there are no
reprints of this class available. I think more hikers
would enjoy reading them.

Much reading to do now...

--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com