[at-l] On the cell phone argument

At 01:56 AM 8/18/2005 -0400, RoksnRoots@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 8/18/2005 12:58:14 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>shane@theplacewithnoname.com writes:
>*
>*
>*
>In "Memorandum on Regional Planning," MacKaye defined his terms. Regional
>planning, he wrote, is "the conscious deliberate working out of a systematic
>method for developing, as far as still possible, the natural resources of a
>region (or locality) so as to convert those resources into human needs and
>welfare."
>
>             ***   You are ignoring the point Shane. If MacKaye was truly
>advocating development why didn't he do it out west in his wildernesses?
>You can't
>avoid the point only to detour to a misquote from MacKaye that we have
>already explained several times, but you insist on bringing it up new
>every time as
>if we never did.
>
>              I have explained at least a half dozen times that the 'Regional
>Planning' plan was exactly that, that is "regional". It involved developing
>vast areas of the Appalachians as farms, work camps, and small rural-based
>communities. However, that plan also included a wild and functioning AT
>corridor
>and Project.
>
>             So far you haven't shown where that is wrong and continue to
>insist on repeatedly referring to MacKaye as a developer in an out of
>context way.
>I really think you don't like the fact that the AT was included in this. You
>can't just ignore the wilderness side of 'Regional Planing'.

Mis-quote?  That was a "quote".

Here's how to settle this debate: Shane presented his evidence, now you
present yours. Not your interpretation, actual quotes. Cite your source(s)
RnR and give the actual quotes to show that MacKaye didn't really mean what
he said in the quote above, so that others can verify what you are arguing.