[at-l] The Other MacKaye Vision

*
Far be it from me to speak for "the trail community", but what I sense in
this forum is a clear appreciation for MacKaye and Avery and what they envisioned
and achieved.  I see, in this forum, an appreciation for those who have
worked so hard and long to achieve the current level of trail protection, yet
there's a clear hunger to see further protection of threatened areas.  My view is
that MacKaye is and always will be remembered as the visionary with the idea of
the AT, and that Avery is remembered as a hardworking achiever.

           ***   Please, you're not honestly trying to offer that sterile
corporate memo language in response?

         Get real, most of the loudest attackers of what I write are
inarticulate of MacKaye and his intentions and openly abusive over simple discussion
of them. Most don't even care.

            MacKaye was the formulator of the AT wilderness plan. Your 'memo'
above doesn't touch that - which is exactly what I'm talking about.

When this forum is badgered and battered with the notion that MacKaye was
more than an individual with an idea, that he was feared by politicians because
of his radical ideas, that there was some conspiracy to head this off, and that
all other eastern conservation evolved from his 1921 article, THAT'S when
folks get a bellyfull, call BS and are in turn branded as heretics.

Take Care,

Tim

             ***    Just more negative spin on someone trying to get to the
real heart of it.

           They knew what MacKaye was doing, they blasted a road right over
his path.

           It would be dumb to not realize the most active Appalachian
conservation today is directly related to MacKaye. Something your blind denials
failed to realize. And, yes, he is very much feared and planned against today.

           Case in point...

*