[at-l] A Different Ethical Dilemma...

At 10:58 PM 8/17/2005 -0400, anklebear wrote:

>I noticed it once, but I thought the poster had somehow done it.  I find
>myself trying to remember what newbie it was who got this whole mess
>started on this go-around.
>
>And, yes, we do love Ryan.  He's WAY too good to us.

A newbie may have started it, but it was a bunch
of regulars that indulged in it.  I'm guilty as the next
bloke.  The newbie is not to blame.

It's the classical "ethical conundrum" for our time.
On this list, anyway...

Here's another one.  How far is it ethical to drive,
in order to hike your favorite piece of the AT?

The answers would be in units of "gallons of
gas per hiker-day" or "pounds of CO2 per
hiker mile" or some such.

I just paid $2.69 for a gallon of regular.

I think the American ideal of simply driving
whenever or wherever we want to go, may
need to be re-thought.

I was thinking of a hike in the Whites.  That's
a 300 mile round trip in the Subaru.  That's 12
gallons of gas, or 240 pounds of atmospheric
CO2 I'm personally responsible for.

If I walk 24 miles, that's 10 lbs. of CO2 per hiker-mile.
If I hike for two days, it's 120 lbs. per hiker-day.

(If I fly cross-country for a ten day hike -- how
do those numbers work out, I wonder...)

rafe b
aka terrapin