[at-l] re:Hiking the Appalachian Trail

>>  3. Tents were only rarely carried.  I never carried
>>  one nor did anyone I > knew.
>
>>From what I can tell, tarps (or ponchos) were mainly
>used.
>
>Again, any tents appeared to be WW2 surplus (like what
>
>Earl first used on the AT. He ditched it later because
>of  all the shelters).

When I backpacked in the Whites in the late 50's I used a heavy
canvas poncho with huge snaps.  At night I wrapped my poncho around
my cotton filled sleepingbag and slept on the ground.

>  > 4. Sleeping pads were as rare as hens teeth. I never
>>  carried one.
>  >

>>  Also - the average thruhike was much shorter than
>>  today (3 to 4 months)
>>  while the Trail was only slightly shorter.  And the
>>  average daily mileage
>>  was higher.  Warren Doyle did his first thruhike in
>>  1973 - if memory serves,
>>  in 72 or 73 days.
>>

>Towns. More town stops. More people staying in towns.
>
>The trail in the late 1960's was almost exactly 2000
>miles.
>
>It is about 2200 miles now. Still, at the 20 MPD pace
>done in 1968, that is only 10 more days of hiking.
>

>I suspect, though, a 2.5 month pace was fast then as
>well!

I recall Earle and several other veteran hikers comment that the
trail has become more difficult because of fewer road walks and towns
to walk through.

Gabby
--

Life is Good!!!