[at-l] re:Hiking the Appalachian Trail

Mags wrote:
>I've only skimmed it so far, but one thing I noticed
>was the base packweight of someone who did the AT in
>100 days back in the late 60s.
>
>The base pack weight? 15 lbs! With so-called
>"primitive" gear.  Makes the marketing campaign of
>many companies seem kind of laughable. :)

I started hiking the AT in 1954.  I have no idea what my base weight was,
but there were a few  differences that you might find interesting -

1. Stoves were unknown - so we didn't have to carry fuel either.
2. Water filters didn't even exist.
3. Tents were only rarely carried.  I never carried one nor did anyone I
knew.
4. Sleeping pads were as rare as hens teeth. I never carried one.

OTOH - food was heavier, tastier, harder to prepare, and more nutritious and
filling.

Also - the average thruhike was much shorter than today (3 to 4 months)
while the Trail was only slightly shorter.  And the average daily mileage
was higher.  Warren Doyle did his first thruhike in 1973 - if memory serves,
in 72 or 73 days.

I've read the books cover to cover several times and I'll probably do so
again in the future.  They're worth whatever you have to pay for them - and
whatever time you spend reading them.

Recently, I spent some time with the books playing with numbers.  There were
a few surprises in spite of the amount of time I'd spent reading them
before.

Have fun with them,
Jim

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/