[at-l] On Personal Responsibility

At 11:35 PM 8/16/2005 -0400, Jim intones:

>Weary wrote:
>
>>Discrete use of pack-carried cell phones are harmless as long as they are
>>carried by a minority of users. But the nature of the trail will have
>>changed when cell phones are found in most packs, as surely they will
>>very soon, if not already.
>
>Anyone who fails to understand this, simply fails to understand the nature
>of what the Trail has been for the last 60 years.  There are those who
>have hiked the Trail before the era of instant communications.  Some of
>them understand the reality that the words of Weary's quote - "A world in
>which you relied, always, on yourself" - are not compatible with a world
>in which any and every problem can be made the responsibility of someone
>else - someone not even connected with your life or your hike.  It's a
>world in which there is no personal responsibility, no real challenge, no
>requirement even for competence because if you screw up - there's always
>someone to call to "kiss it and make it better."  Contrary to what anyone
>thinks - that's NOT HYOH - it is in fact, the antithesis of HYOH.

Oh blather.  I don't need a lecture from you or anyone
else on personal responsibility.  That has nothing to do
with a cell phone.  I can, and have for the last thirty
years, done quite well without one.  Now I carry one.
Get it?  You're way off base here.

rafe b
aka terrapin