[at-l] On Global Warming

At 10:13 PM 8/14/2005 -0400, you wrote:

>I was also THE liaison to the science community (nobody else wanted that job).
>I worked here: http://www.nimbus-sat.org/history/foreward.htm
>And here: http://geo.arc.nasa.gov/sge/landsat/landsat.html
>And here: http://terra.nasa.gov/
>And here: http://landsat.gsfc.nasa.gov/
>
>Now ? if anyone has more extensive direct experience with the science
>community, I?ll happily listen to your views, experiences, opinions, etc.

If satellite data were the only evidence for
warming, I'd say you have a point.  But it's
not, by a long shot.  And the USA has a
huge vested interest (read: oil companies,
and an oil-dependent economy) in denying
the reality.

Alternative evidence comes from ice cores,
glacial melt, ocean level and temperature,
tree rings, migration patters, plan/tree growth
patterns, atmospheric studies, etc etc etc.

Ironically, there is one sector of the US
economy that's taking it very seriously:
the insurance industry.

<http://news.ft.com/cms/s/84370f42-e7f8-11d9-9786-00000e2511c8.html>
<http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0303-07.htm>

rafe b