Why Hike?? -- [Was: Re: [at-l] Watches on the Trail? And Nimblewill Nomad's Question]

> I'm hoping
>> our different reasons for hiking the trail and styles of hiking won't cause
>> too much of a problem.

If two people agree to hike together over the long haul:

Ya gotta go with the pace of the slowest hiker, or there will be
trouble in Dodge.

Nothing will cause resentment - or injury - faster than being hustled
into a faster pace than one's body can comfortably handle over distance.
If he wants to come in on YOUR dream, respecting your pace is a wise
investment in partnership harmony. Trust me.
;-)

That said, there ARE ways for stronger, faster hikers to meet their
needs - move on and wait for the other, the camera thing (wise woman),
or move on and run into town for sandwiches for you both only to
return the Conquering Hero, or run on ahead into town to secure a mail
drop before the PO closes, etc  - all sorts of ways to be the Hero and
respect his own pace - which may well shift over the course of the
journey, by the way.
If he's hiking to glory in the movement of his limbs, that will only
increase, but if he's hiking fast because he's driven, well, that may
well decrease as the AT works its mellow magic.

If you guys are still hiking together (or, married) by Harper's Ferry,
then you've worked it out and will likely go the distance.

With you two, I'd suggest each keeping a trail journal. I, for one,
would love to compare the two versions of the day...
;-)

--
     	AT Journal:
	http://www.trailjournals.com/Liteshoe/