[at-l] OT: Gas prices

If you're looking for the source of our current gasoline prices you can
forget about government conspiricies, Exxon-Mobil conspirices, and even Bush
or environmentalist conspiricies.

Simply look across the Pacific to China.

They are buying everything they can - and are subsequently forcing prices
up.  If you were an investor, and invested in foreign (and some domestic)
natural resource stocks like ICON in Canada or BZF in Brazil, you'd have
made a lot of money (and still will) because these funds sell their
resources to China.  China is directly responsible for the concrete shortage
in the US and a hellacious rise in mild steel prices in 2003.  China caused
such a steel shortage in Japan last fall that Nissan had to idle some of
their plants for a few days and nearly had the same effect on other
companies.

China is working hard to build a middle class - and we are footing the bill.
China owns billions of dollars worth of US securities (we're running a
crippling deficit so we have to sell bonds to whoever will buy - and China
and Japan bought lots of them - and they were purchased with proceeds from
our purchases of Chinese (and Japanese) goods) and we all know that Wal Mart
is the largest importer in the world of Chinese goods.  They get our money,
build their factories, buildings, dams, and roads with it (and pollute the
hell out of the air - to the extent that the pollution in some cities is so
heavily concentrated that it is reaching the US), and then sell us more
goods and the cycle continues.  [I won't go into how they screw over US
companies - particularly computer hardware companies].

They are trying to build factories, power plants, shopping malls, cars, etc
to feed a growing middle class.  Most of China is farmland but the farmers
are moving to the cities to find work.  There's plenty of work so the
ex-farmers move into buildings (that are being buiilt as fast as is
possible) and they earn money that they can then use to buy things.
Essentially, they are becoming the middle class.  The more their middle
class grows, the more demand there is for goods.  There is a limited supply
of raw materials for those goods so the price goes up.

Charles