[at-l] Knowing that it's there..

In a message dated 8/9/2005 1:48:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
rafeb@speakeasy.net writes:
*
*
*
Umm, now who's building strawmen, Mr. Rocks And Roots?

The point -- which you seem to be struggling mightily to
avoid -- is that the specific rules that guide Baxter cannot,
and (IMO) should not be applied to the AT in general.

I don't really care if Baxter and MacKaye were best of pals.
99% of those who walk the AT have never heard of either
of these gentlemen.

But hey, I love these terms you conjure up... you know,
like "cell-phone induced access points" and your latest,
"cell phone indifference."

Yep, I'm indifferent.  You bet.  I'd rather see a fellow walk
the AT with a cell phone than not walk it all.

> From reading your writings am I to understand that the AT is just sort of an
>accident with no real purpose but Baxter is a specially designed place with a
>purpose you recognize?

You can build strawmen with the best of them, Mr.
Rocks And Roots.
*
*
*

            No Rafe. Sorry. You are just ignoring all the real history and
reason why the AT should promote a wilderness ethic similar to Baxter and for
the same reason.

               It's obvious you are defending the cell phone and not the AT.
I find it disheartening that you would be so actively interested in trying to
weaken the Trail.

        Overall I find your arguments less than respectful of true Trail
ideas and somewhat off the cuff. There's the cell phone at work whether you see it
or not...

*