[at-l] Knowing that it's there..

R&R wonders:
>           You didn't answer my point that Baxter was of MacKaye's day. I
> wonder what inspired Baxter?
----------------
In 1903 Percival Baxter and his dad, after a three day trip up from Portland,
stepped out of a small boat on the North bank 'Sowderhunk Stream, where
decades later the AT would cross the West Branch via a wire bridge, and long before
the construction of Abol Bridge and the Golden Road. They crossed the Toll
Dam and took a path that would later be known as the Appalachian Trail to Hunt's
Camp. Baxter would later point to that trip as the 'daybreak that awoke my
personal philosophy.'

It is important to note that MacKaye planned an AT that ended on Mt
Washington in New Hampshire, hundreds of miles south of Katahdin. Judge Perkins and
Myron Avery were the ATC leaders that succeeded in making Katahdin the northern
terminus.

Teej