[at-l] New ATC Site

At 10:47 PM 8/8/2005 -0400, Sly wrote:

>rafe writes:
>
>>The internet makes thru-hike planning too easy.
>>Back in 1990 there was some trail-induced access
>>to the local library when I planned my attempt.
>>How quaint.
>

>It does simplify things that's for sure.
>
>When I started planning in '96 I went to the library and checked out a
>couple books.  Those that I recall were The Complete Walker and As far As
>The Eye Can See.  I also bought the ALDHA Companion from the local
>outfitter.   That's probably all I needed but...
>
>About a month and a half later I hooked up with the Internet, and found
>AOL"s Backpacker Chat and the AT-L.
>
>Sly

I did a lot of reading.  It took me a couple
of months to get through the two-volume
anthology of trail journals by James Hare.
Out of press, but libraries have it, and you
can sometimes find it on ebay.  It was
published in '75, so the gear is dated and
the trail route has changed some.

It's got the stories of the grand old geezers
of the AT - Garvey, Ryback, Granny Gatewood,
et al.

rafe b
aka terrapin