[at-l] Knowing that it's there.. and atml

Shane wrote:
>Well, it's kind of what I do.  I'm a software engineer.  My clients think
>it's strange that I like what I do, but I hate computers.  There's a kind
>of
>irony....

Can't say I "hate" computers - but they sure can be irritating.

> > >I also don't understand the idea that cell phones are
> > > the ultimate doom of wilderness.
> >
> > Uh uh - no way you're gonna pin that one on me.  Roxy
> > may be headed that way - but I've said no such thing.
>
>I wasn't trying to pin it on you.  Just making conversation.  One of the
>problems with this discussion is that everyone is on the defensive.

Yeah - problem is that most people don't actually "read" this stuff - they
skim it.  So when someone brings up something like that it's "assumed" to be
a response to the ideas of the original poster.  I've been caught by it
often enough to be wary.

> > Nor do I believe it.  The ultimate doom of wilderness
> > will come via the influx of illegals and immigrants
> > from cultures that do not and have never valued it - and
> > from the apathy of native born Americans who don't
> > care.
>
>I'm not a social scientist.  Personally, I'd say the ultimate doom of
>wilderness will come from the religious right.  I'm sure I'll get in a lot
>of trouble for that...

Ummm - don't think so although I'd like to know why you do.  My view comes
from living too near the fire for too long.  Politicians are driven by their
constituencies (at least to some degree).  And when the majority of your
constituency would rather see that swampland developed rather than serve its
natural function, guess what happens?  Dunno if I can find it right away,
but a couple years ago there was a case of a county executive who intended
to build multi-millon dollar waterfront housing on land that the county had
bought for conservation purposes.  Didn't happen, but ----   Oh yeah - he
was a Democrat - and black.

Long term - more and more Hispanic legislators are being elected.  And
Muslims.  And a few other categories.  And none of them carry the
"wilderness ethic" that so many on this list think so important.  How
receptive do you think they'll be to environmental concerns?  How long will
they continue the funding for things like land acquisition?  Especially
considering that they can't or won't fund sufficient personnel and
maintenance for the land commitments we already have?  How soon before they
start selling off some of the"excess" land?  Actually that's already
happened.

>I don't read blogs.  I'm not all that keen on what happens in other
>countries.  I've got enough trouble on my own without worryign about other
>people's trouble....

Well, there's trouble here - and there's trouble "over there" that's
intended to be exported for "our" enjoyment.  All God's chilluns has
troubles.  Some of them want to spread the joy. <g>

> > I CAN and do express my feelings about their use when it
> > irritates me.  I CAN express my feelings on this list
> > and other places.  Not that I expect to "convert" or
> > "convince" or "save" anyone - but for my own
> > satisfaction.  And on the off-chance that someone out
> > there will actually understand.  And in the interest of
> > providing complete information on the subject and
> > letting people know that there are alternative ways of
> > thinking and acting.
>
>That about covers me too, but I have a feeling that we're doing a piss poor
>job of it...

Agreed -

> > The lesson is simple - we are not always logical
> > creatures - and cell phones are just one of the many
> > things about which we are illogical.
>
>Well, I think I've been pretty logical about it.  RNR never responded to my
>last post on the subject, so I can only assume I was right...

Dunno - I read your posts - not his.

> > I was once a television addict.
>
>So was that the TV's fault, or your fault?

Hmmm - try the latest Readers Digest - has a series of articles on
technology.

But to answer the question - I was addicted - until I actually thought about
what I was doing.  As William James opined: "Most people believe they're
thinking when all they're doing is rearranging their prejudices."

> > I no longer watch much of it.  I have a
> > life. Television is someone else's life, not mine.
>
>Amen.  I do like that 4400 show, though.  You know, where all those people
>were kidnapped from the past, transported to the future, given powers, and
>then put back here to save all mankind?  Man, is that freaky.  I always
>think about Felix when I watch that show.

Dunno - never seen it.

> > And I wouldn't argue with the Dalai Lama - well, not
> > much anyway <VBG>
>
>OH, I would argue with him plenty.  Just not on the technology thing.

Y'know - I've just gotta figure out how to make sarcasm more obvious.  <G>

Have a good day,
Jim

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/