[at-l] A Clear Choice for RnR

In a message dated 8/7/2005 12:27:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
rafeb@speakeasy.net writes:
*
*
*
No, I simply want to pose you as someone
with a need to feel morally superior to every
other hiker who ever set foot on the AT.  Not
that this isn't abundantly obvious already.

           ***     I'm surprised an intelligent person like yourself would
try to get away with posing this as a question of "moral superiority"? Like most
cell phone die-hards, instead of recognizing the terms here you are subtly
trying to question the Trail's purpose as "moral superiority". Well, that's
entirely inappropriate. The AT wilderness ethic is a last stand to protect
undeveloped nature. It's more of a neglected last stand than anything overbearing or
oppressive.

         Cell phones, however, their value is the slow creep of indifference.
Their moral value is progressive and indifferent harm to wildness typical of
what the AT tries to counter. You are blaming the victim here Rafe. You are
also ignoring/denying how they affect the Trail.

These aren't baited questions, RnR.  You set
yourself up for them.  They follow from your
own logic, or lack thereof.

          ***   They are. You totally avoid any mention of just about
everything I wrote of the Trail's purpose, it's writings, and background. Rafe, we
aren't talking about debate tactics and who sets themselves up for what. We are
talking about honest understanding of the Trail and its purpose and the Trail
Community's responsibility to such.

Rather than accept that a cell phone solves
a problem that's affected hikers from day one...
your attitude is that we should forego any
such solution and tough it out.  Those left
at home mustn't worry, mustn't make demands.

           ***    What you are trying to do is change the argument to a
baited question over hiker needs. That has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm
saying. Solar Bear called you on it. You ignored him and came right back with
it even stronger. First off, hikers have managed to stay in contact before cell
phones. You yourself said the Trail doesn't have that many uninterrupted
stretches. You ignored my answer to this and go right back to your own bogus
rendering. That is all you are doing is arguing YOUR view of the Trail. It doesn't
necessarily involve any commonly accepted Trail foundation or any reflection
of where we are on the main talking points.

           Once again, your argument avoids how your view affects the Trail
and its purpose. You cannot engage this discussion unless you involve the whole
argument. I don't want to waste my time describing that whole scope only to
have you ignore it in your replies. It's the entire gist of this debate.

You offer no solutions, just preaching and
moralizing.  You want a trail walked only by
the purest of souls.  I'm confident (and
relieved) that your dream will never come true.

           ***   Anybody who reads serious Trail concerns backed by valid
Trail references and calls them "moralizing" and "preaching" is just in plain
contempt of the Trail. I do offer a solution. Trail members should stop dealing
with this on such a superficial level and get with it. They should honor and
respect the Trail's purpose.

             You yourself are a perfect example of cell phones' effect on the
AT. Like I said before, some people don't like the AT when it is properly
described to them - they just don't realize it...

*