[at-l] A Clear Choice for RnR

In a message dated 8/5/2005 11:36:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rafeb@speakeasy.net writes:

> We have family.  For mutual benefit, we use
> our phones to keep in contact with our families
> when on the trail.
>
> I suspect this is a very common situation, and it
> may be a condition for some folks hiking at all.

The placebo effect?

Much like the situation in the San Juan's, the fact that reception isn't
always available hasn't relieved the family of stress, only intensified it.

What I can't understand is, since cell reception is limited in the mountains,
why bother carrying at all?  Wouldn't it be best, just to say, talk to you
from the next town 4 days away or see you when I get home, instead of depending
on sporadic service?

Sly