[at-l] Knowing that it's there..

You say you're out of here, but you continue to argue. You also have mistaken that I'm irate about anything. I just felt that you singled out my post so I felt the urge to respond. You respond by saying don't respond. Odd indeed. Do you want the last word? Go ahead and take it, for now I think I truly am done. Note: I said "think".

Raphael Bustin <rafeb@speakeasy.net> wrote:At 04:31 PM 8/5/2005 -0700, Robert wrote:

>AHA! I believe that is the point that everyone is trying to make when they
>say that everything affects a hike. The fact is that it is not a bunch of
>hooey even when it is used to prove the point that cells affect your hike.
>The fact that it is so generally applicable is exactly what was meant. The
>fact that your hike was more (or less) affected by other things is up to
>you in the end. You allow the degree to which something positively or
>negatively affects you, but to say they don't affect you is really a bunch
>of hooey.

Great, so why single out cell phones? Why not
get all irate that ThermaRest sleeping pads have
ruined the wilderness experience, since you'll be
affected all day long by the very *idea* that you
might sleep comfortably at night.

When we start comparing hiking experiences
by what might or might not be going on inside
peoples' heads, I'm outta here.

When I hear suggestions that the "latest fad"
in hiking gear might lure swarthy, uncouth city
folk onto our pristine, precious AT, I'm outta here.

I mean, I wouldn't mind putting away the entire
discussion, but folks keep making outrageous
statements and claims.

In the real world, cell phones are overused
and often obnoxious. The infrastructure
impacts the landscape. They're so heavily used
because... they're so... useful (d'oh.)

Do we need to discuss the very *ethics* of
carrying a small, useful instrument into the
woods? I'm not so sure.

rafe b
aka terrapin