[at-l] RnR's *worthwhile* cell phone questions

Jim Bullard wrote:

>Whew! Where to start. Well, perhaps by saying that you, Jim should have
>stopped with the point above. I don't think I owe Robert an apology because
>it was not intended as a personal attack on him. If he took it that way I'm
>sorry he did.

I was gonna suggest that we start by dropping the subject entirely.
But it's apparently too late for that.

>As for all that other stuff: Where, Jim, did you get the idea that I
>*advocate* others carry a cell phone? All I'm arguing is that the idea that
>it will necessarily degrade your experience is not true for everyone and
>that what one carries in one's pack is one's own business. If others CHOOSE
>to let it affect them, well, that's their problem. When I hike, regardless
>of the length, what I carry is my decision. I advocate the same for others.
>If you decide 10, 30 or 100 miles down the trail to send it home, again
>that is YOUR decision.

Similar to the "water treatment" arguments - those who believe in them argue
for carrying, those who have never had dysentery argue that you don't need
one.  In this case, you've argued for carrying by saying that it won't
affect a hike.  And again - like the water treatment argument, I don't care
wherther any individual hiker carries one - I DO care that ALL the
information on both sides of the argument is presented - and not shouted
down.  You've been shouting.

>I'm sorry that my taking exception to your thru-hiker's opinion has upset
>you so Jim. I regarded this as a philosophical discussion re: cell phones
>and wilderness, but apparently I hit one of your hot buttons.

My "thruhikers opinion" is based on a little more knowledge and experience
than you've bothered to give anyone credit for.  And - as I said before - I
don't go to electricians to find out how to do drywall work.  Or something
like that.  What the whole thing comes down to is kinda like the decline in
prostitution - too many amateurs got into it and the whole profession went
to hell.  <g>

Some of us have a passion for the trail - and for thruhikers.  Some don't.
Those who don't have the passion shouldn't teach - that's a disservice to
everyone.  Having the passion - and teaching even if you don't know - is the
fastest way to learn.  But without the passion - all that gets done is
mouthing platitudes and dogma - and turning out uninspired, ignorant
students.  .

Walk softly,
Jim

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/