[at-l] Request Erwin TN Information

At 09:05 AM 8/4/2005 -0500, Ozzie wrote:

>I try to get to the AT at least once a year and would like to hike in the
>Erwin TN area in September. In the past the information I have received
>from hikers on this list has been invaluable in me getting on the trail
>faster and making good use of the time I have in the area. As it is it
>takes two days of driving to get there and generally one day to get the
>feel of the area so any pertinent information about the area is very
>helpful. I am particularly interested in the safety of my vehicle and
>belongings while on the trail.  There have been reports of vandalism at
>the trailheads in the past but the info I have is several years old. I
>have not been to the Erwin area so any information you can give me will be
>helpful. The last trip I took was to the Dahlonega area where I rented a
>motel on a weekly rate and mostly did day hikes and thoroughly enjoyed the
>trip.

Any chance of getting public transportation
to/from the trailheads?  Bus to Erwin, then cab
or shuttle?  Leave the car behind.

 From experience, I'd never leave a car at a
given trailhead for more than two or three nights --
not in TN, and not in NH/ME either.

There are good guides for free (downloadble
PDFs) at www.aldha.org  They'll tell you all
about useful local services at every possible
trail town.

You may find local innkeepers willing to
shuttle you to/from trailheads.

rafe b
aka terrapin