[at-l] Cell phones VS Nature - An attempt to clarify - LONG

In a message dated 8/3/2005 5:34:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,
shane@theplacewithnoname.com writes:
*
*
*
You're absolutely right Rocks.  I hate the trail.  I hate wilderness.  I
think they ought to pave over the whole damn thing with condos, interstates,
and hotdog stands.

If you believe that, then you really need some help.

Shane
*
*
*

          You didn't answer the specific points about how cell phones affect
the Trail's physical surroundings, the hike, and perception of the Trail both
from within and without. The Trail's purpose, in other words. Forgive me, but
I know I personally prefer to get advice from people who aren't afraid to
address specific points.

          I can imagine how extremely different my Maine hike would have been
if I could call home every night, or knew I could call home. It's kind of
like the difference between knowing people are behind the Trail and its purpose
instead of being wet noodles as far as committing to it. The main body of AT
members just flat out refuse to recognize the conceptual Trail.

*