[at-l] Cell phones VS Nature - An attempt to clarify - LONG

>I wonder how many cell phones actually make it to Katahdin?  Used to
>be VERY few if any - but I don't know anymore.
>
>Jim
>
>http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/

I confess.  I carried my cell phone from Springer to Katahdin last
year.  Several people I hiked with did the same.  I never saw any of
these "Evil Cell Phone Toters" use their phones except in town as I
did.  Except on two occassions.  I used my cell phone on Cold
Mountain to call The Dutch House B&B in Montebello VA to check for
available space and to get a ride for me and two other hikers.  I
also used my cell phone at the Lookout north of Maine Junction in
Vermont for the same purpose to discover the B&B I had hoped to visit
was no longer in business. I'm glad I called.  I called again from
The White House Landing in Hundred Mile Wilderness to arrange for my
wife to meet me at Abol Bridge on October 24th for a slack into
Baxter.  I tried to bounch my cell phone charger but found that less
than convenient so ended up carrying it which also was a pain.  The
cell phone remainded turned off the entire hike unless I chose to
make a call.  I planned my hike to be without a cell phone but my
wife insisted that she would feel more comfortable if I carried it.
I must admit that it did come in handy and I doubt very much if it
spoiled my feeling of being disconnected to the other world.  My hike
was everything I had dreamed of for 46 years and then some.

Gabby

--

Life is Good!!!
Art Cloutman