[at-l] New AT speed record... today?!

In a message dated 8/2/2005 1:14:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
carol1944@brmemc.net writes:

Speed  hiking the AT is like
_________________________________________________.

The AT is similar to a Rorschach Test in that there are certain  expectations
to be derived from it but it is up to each person to say what it is  that
they see; so too the AT brings out of each of us that which is important to  each
of us.

I was appalled when I saw the AT movie where thru-hikers were really
disgusted with the AT and just wanted to put it behind them.  Of course,  they were
speaking from where they were on the trail and from what they  experienced and
from what their goals were.  Another person might have  shouted their
appreciation of each phase of their hike.  Others might  experience fatigue and thus
be blinded to the beauty of the trail.

The very, very, short time I spent in Georgia in the PUDS (Now, that is a
derogatory description of some beautiful wood walks) I was so out of shape that
a lot of beauty escaped me but when I took time to look there was beauty all
around.  The full day that I spend at Justus Creek gave me an appreciation
for the beauty of a camping spot with a stream with several nice places to set
up camp.  All around there were little places to explore.  But at that  point
I was forced to camp rather than hike.  So, there was time to look  and see.
At another point in the season there would have been more to see  as trees,
bushes, and other plant life would have progressed in their march  toward
completion of their life cycle.

Yet, a lot of credit must be given to the athletes among the hikers along
the trail.  I speak of those who have long distance goals.  Hiking a  certain
segment of the trail in one day (Maryland) or doing twenty mile days
consecutively for long periods of time, and then there is the Marathon efforts  of those
who strive to complete the trail in less than two months.  These  hike the
Appalachian Trail for other reasons than one who would take a leisurely
approach and take time to appreciate nature along the way; or even those who  hike
the trail with the hope of meeting a variety of people along the way.   People
hike for their own reasons.

If perchance, one hikes for another persons reasons then misery raises  its
head and inflicts its ills, making each step a dreary proposition.

So the adage Hike Your Own Hike, is the only way to be happy on the  trail.
Well, perhaps happiness can intrude from time to time even upon  those who
hike in misery -- but it takes a willingness to accept the gifts of  such moments
along the way.

Skylander