[at-l] On topic if you carry a cell on the trail... OT if you dont... Imp...

At 09:06 AM 7/30/2005 -0400, Jim O. wrote:

>Now - to answer your questions - in this context, "disconnection" is a
>mental/emotional state that results from prolonged exposure to
>"uncivilized" conditions.  It can come from combat - it can come from
>exposure to Third World conditions

Jeez.  Sounds like just the thing for
describing my AT hikes to my wife.

>Our "disconnection" - is FROM the so-called "civilized world"

No thanks, I'm a proud member of the reality based community.
Though I like Ghandi's opinion of Western civilization, to wit,
"It would be a good thing."

>You've forgotten that I write for thruhikers/long distance hikers - and
>VERY rarely for day hikers or weekenders.

Good, now we're getting somewhere, though you
shouldn't presume to speak for all thru hikers and
you (fortunately) don't speak of section hikers.

>BTDT (but not on a bicycle)

Yeah, we know.  Amazing the things you've seen
and done.  Almost beyond belief.  I'm humbled.

rafe b
aka terrapin